Last Updated on
Reading Time: 5 minutes
- Goa has it all, from beaches to nightclubs to waterfall to forest sanctuaries.
- The taxes levied are very less compared to other states and this results in cheap petrol and cheap booze. One can get a pint of beer for as less as INR 25 from a shop and a liter of petrol costs almost INR 5-10 less than other states. Isn’t this the best reason to spend A Weekend in Goa ?
- In the recent 4-5 years, the ease of booking a hotel has improved drastically and so have a number of hostels come up.
- A lot of hostels such as Zostel, Wanderer’s hostel, Roadhouse hostel, Wonderland hostel are operating in North Goa. One can stay for the night for as less as INR 300 per night.
- In this era of an aggressive travel industry, companies like OYO rooms, Fab hotels offer a good budgeted room with all amenities for as less as INR 1000 per night or even lesser if booked well in advance and with some promo codes.
- One can even check out Airbnb for home stay options, which offer a unique experience. (Get Rs 1200 off on booking your first homestay on AirBnB by clicking here)
- There are a lot of budget hotels spread across Goa for as less as INR 500 per night and the same can be booked on websites like GoIbibo, Yatra, MakeMyTrip etc; and with a promo code this can be much less. (Click on the welcome code
PS : A hotel near the beach may not always be the cheapest option, rather book it anywhere in the radius of 500m from the beach , this way you will be away from the crowd.
- AC Sleeper and Semi Sleeper buses ply daily from Mumbai, Pune and Bengaluru and one can get a seat in the bus for anything between INR 600-1500 per person, depending on the company and when you book the ticket. These rates usually shoot up during the peak tourist season of December – February.
- Train is also an option, but it is advisable only when you are travelling in a group, as the time taken is more than the bus and the rates are somewhat similar.
- Driving down is usually the most sought after option and economical too if travelling in a group.
- However, a better environmentally friendly alternative is to take a bus till Goa and then further rent a Car or a Bike/Scooter for the duration of the stay with rates ranging from INR 200-500 for a 2 wheeler/day and around INR 1000-1500 for a 4 wheeler/day. The roads are in excellent condition and the petrol is very economical making your Weekend in Goa a very budget friendly one.
Food and Drinks
- Both food and drinks are very cheap in Goa as the demand is much less than the surplus supply. There is a shack around every corner in Goa.
- To be on the economical side, it is better to have a tummy filling Indian meal at any of the Indian restaurants for as less as INR 150 per head and then head to the beach shack to relax.
- All the major fast food chains like KFC, McDonalds, and Dominoes are present in Goa, but the feeling of having food in a Goan shack/restaurant is something different altogether.
- It’s advisable to buy your booze from shops as the rates in the shacks are almost double for beer. A pint of Kings Beer (Goa exclusive) costs INR 25 in the shop and around INR 50 in any shack. It is very common to find everyone walking on the streets in Goa with a pint of beer in hand.
Some other “To Do Things” to make the most out of your Weekend in Goa
- Everyone should make it a point to try some of the Goan specialty dishes such as Pork Vindaloo, Chicken Xacuti, Chicken Cafreal, Goan Fish and Prawn Curries, at least once during their stay.
- Everyone must try the local Goan drink, i.e. Cashew or Coconut Fenni. The taste is very unique and extremely strong, but still worth a try.
- Goan cashew nuts are very famous and one can get a variety in any of the Govt approved traders, with rates as low as INR 150-200 for 500 gm Cashew Nuts.
You might also want to take a trip to the Spice Gardens in Goa, and these 10 reasons will surely convince you to take a trip to the Spice Gardens.
Goa is a Wraveler’s hotspot and a backpacker’s paradise, hence spending a Weekend in Goa is a must . One should try to spend minimum amount on the accommodation and Transport and enjoy the typical Goan experiences, because it’s the memories that remain forever.
Related : 15 Photos that will tempt you for Goa !
Already been to Goa? Share your experience in the comments.